Monday, April 11, 2011

What were we thinking...

A few weeks ago on a Friday night, Chad and I went to dinner at our favorite non-busy, no-wait place...Cracker Barrell.  As we left the restaurant, we chatted back and forth about what we were going to do for the rest of the night.  We got an idea to do a puzzle.  We love puzzles.  We had done one when we were engaged and Chad was living with his uncle.  That one took us one night and was fun so we thought we would do it again.  We went to Wal-mart and after much debate, picked out one we thought looked like a  good one.  Like we really know what makes a good puzzle?!  We went home and took off the lid, sifted through the pieces, and realized we had made a mistake.  1500 pieces did not seem like that much until we actually saw how many pieces that is.  What were we thinking?!

That first night, the only thing we accomplished was the edge.  The next night we added about 20 more pieces.  Just how long this puzzle was going to take started to come into perspective.

THREE WEEKS LATER, we finished it.  Yep, three weeks.  And we diligently worked on it every night for at least 30 minutes.  30 minutes is all we could take before I got puzzle ornery and started to say mean things.  We ate on the floor since the puzzle took up the whole table.  Jordyn, in her wiggly and mobile state, attacked every plate of food we ate.  After it was finally finished, we had to leave it on the table for a couple days as a testament to hard work, dedication, devotion, everlasting love despite challenges, and a reminder that next time 750 pieces will be enough.


Please ignore the one missing piece.  Either Jordyn ate it, or the vaccuum did.  I was about to paint a green piece of cardboard to fit just so we could say we did 1500 pieces, not 1499.

7 comments:

sara said...

That's amazing. Seriously, I tried to do a puzzle once...it didn't turn out well. It was with Logan when we were engaged too. A Homer Simpson puzzle. We have yet to complete that thing and it has been 5 years so bravo!

Unknown said...

I LOVE puzzles! But we can't do them now that we're married. Soren likes me to do all the hard work of the puzzle and then come in and "help" the last 20 pieces. And for the record, there aren't many good puzzles out there.

If you really want a challenge, I can send you a flat 3D puzzle - the pieces are like holograms. Interested?? :)

Chad and Mandi said...

Ashley- I might be interested in like 5 years. We need a big long puzzle break!

MEREDITH said...

That is Awesome. Me and Nick get in those moods every once in awhile, we did a 1500 one on our deck last summer, and yes it took us like 2 weeks. But we loved it. We are missing Jordyn, everytime the doorbell rings Hawk runs to it yelling Jordyn Jordyn, so funny. Anyways hope you have a great BREAK!

Casey and Samantha said...

I love puzzles too! Although I don't think I've ever done one that big. The last puzzle I put together was the one your mom had printed of our families for Christmas... they weren't very big... Way to go! Don't you have such a feeling of accomplishment?

When do you want to go running? Call me.

The Judd Family said...

Wow! Talk about dedication. That is an awesome looking puzzle. Nice work.

Jennie said...

I know exactly what you're talking about! I did the same thing last year. Thought that would be a great activity during conference. But 1500 puzzle is a HUGE undertaking! It took us quite a while to finish, I think 3 weeks and by then we had lost 1 piece too! I don't know if I will ever get it out again. I need my kitchen table too much!!