Sunday, April 14, 2013

She is big kid now!

Well, it has been a month since I have blogged, so I figured I should find something to say. 

When I think back on the past few weeks, I laugh cause my life has all centered around one thing.  Potty Training.  It is unbelievable how that took over my life but I think it is done and we can move on with more normal things.  We actually attempted potty training a few months ago, about mid February.  I was dumb and tried to do it a week Chad was out of town for work.  We tried for 3 days and had zero successes.  I basically trapped her in the kitchen where clean up on the wood floor was easiest.  Three days in only the kitchen was torture.  We built a fort for her and she was very content to just play in her "house" all day.  I was the one that struggled.  And without Chad to take over while I took a break to the grocery store, or to even sew and take packages to the post office, it was just not working out.  I gave up for the time being, but tried again the first week of April.  She was so much more ready and understood so much better it was almost miraculous.  By the evening of the first day, she had it down.  We were only in the kitchen "fort" for a day and a half before I trusted her to play in the carpeted areas of the house.  And she really has not had many accidents.  Chad asked me if potty training was harder than I thought it would be.  My answer:  Not necessarily harder, just more consuming that I had imagined.  That crap you read on pinterest where you potty train your toddler in 3 days is nothing but lies!  (at least for us).  Even though Jordyn basically got to the potty every time she needed to after the first day, I still needed to be at her beckon call to help her.  It took days before I could trust her to get her pants and panties off all by herself and climb onto the toilet herself.  It took over a week before I could trust her to go out of the house and run errands with me.  Sad and pathetic as it sounds, it just totally took over my whole life.  I guess that is what it takes though.

And now, brace yourself for the worst of potty training experiences.  I have had an issue with nap time.  Jordyn doesn't nap, she just goes to her room and plays for a couple hours.  I did not want to get her out of that habit while potty training, or to think she can just say she has to go potty and she can get out of her room.  So I put a pull up on her and told her they were "princess panties" and she should try not to pee or poop in them.  On about day 5, I put her in the pull up and sent her to her room for nap.  After about an hour she was pounding on the door and crying which is not super  unusual.  She often tries to get me to let her out.  This time she cried for about 20 minutes when I decided she was not going to give up.  Right when I opened the door, she was standing there with poop all over her hands!  Not only that, she had wiped poop all over the walls and the door.  She cried and cried as I took her to bathroom to wash her up.  In a pathetic little voice she said, "Poop on a hands is a bad choice."  She was so devastated by the whole thing, I just could not be mad at her.  After some investigation, I realized she had pooped in her diaper, and because she had not had poopy diaper in 5 days, she stuck her hand down there to take care of it.  After she got poop all over her hands, she tried to wipe it off on the walls and started banging on the door to tell me.  Super mommy moment.  But she was pretty horrified by it all and I am sure she will NEVER get poop on her hands again!

She had a potty chart she got to put a princess sticker on every time she went in the toilet.  She was so excited about it every time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We just quit our 2nd round of potty training. I've been doing the long and hard way and am now convinced I must do the Potty Training in a Day. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Enrique and Lindsay said...

Potty training is the absolute worst part of motherhood. Hands down. That's awesome that she's so independent now though. Lucy had about a week of independence and then she went right back to needing me to help her get her pants down and sit on the potty. I need to try and get back to that.