Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hometown Pride



I am sad to report that I did not bring my camera to any of our 4th of July events :(, but I hope you enjoy our story anyway.

Friday afternoon Chad and I headed down to Gunnison. His family (all the guys) followed us down. The guys (and Aunt Michelle!) have a motorcycle gang and love to spend time the the mountains riding their bikes. Grandpa Barton (who is truly an amazing man) spends the winter fixing and maintaining all the bikes. We convinced them to come to Gunnison and my dad showed them around the mountain. Confession #1, I was so excited for them to come. I feel so much pride and love for those mountains. I have spent so much time with my family and friends there. I feel like I know every turn in the road, and have a memory for almost every trail and camping spot. Earlier in the week I asked my dad where he had parked our trailer and all he had to say was "that little hole on the north side of the road" and I knew what he was talking about. The funny thing is, I don't think I am alone in this 12 mile canyon pride. My dad was just as excited to show Chad's family around.

I spent Friday the 3rd with my mom. It was so nice to spend some time with her. She is truly one of my best friends. We went to the Gunnison City festivities. Confession #2, I love that town! It might be a po-dunk little town in the middle of nowhere, and it smells like cows and the water tastes kind of funny, but I love it! We went to dinner at the high school. It was fun to see old high school friends and familiar faces. I get so excited about the 4th of July in Gunnison every year, and it will be a sad day when I cannot be there. This year in Gunnison was particularly special because the town in celebrating 150 years. We had kid from Gunnison come home with his fellow Dew Tour friends and do a motorbiking-jump show. I loved it! My mom on the other hand was so nervous I did not think she was going to be able to watch! We finished the evening with a Merill Osmond concert (yes, the Merill Osmond..haha), and of course the fireworks. One of my favorite parts about the fireworks is that every year they play "Coming to America" which in my opinion is the ultimate patriotic song! Every time I hope that when Neil sings "coming to America TODAY..." that a huge firework goes off just in sync with the song! The next morning we watched the parade and went to the park for a few minutes to see all the festivities there. Then we headed up the mountain to have lunch with Chad and his motorcycle gang.

Later that evening we had a BBQ at Chad's sister's house in Syracuse. It is so entertaining to have little kids around and watch their amazement with sparklers and fireworks. For the most part they just stare and say "pretty"!

It was a great weekend! I love celebrating with family and remembering just how lucky I am to be an American. But after the weekend was said and done, I could not stop thinking about my little town and how proud I am of it! Walking around the park, seeing people who are having a good time, kids with their parents, faces painted, bags with little goldfish from the fish pond, Uncle Kent pulling the train around the park, horseshoes, dunk tanks, taco salads, and old friends and distant family. I feel like I am lucky to have grown up in such a place and to have those memories. I know that my life travels will probably never end up in Gunnison, but I am so glad I had the opportunity to experience it!

4 comments:

The Judd Family said...

I sure wish we could have been in Gunnison over the 4th. It would have been great to see you! It sounds like you had a great time!

The Trythalls said...

I love your pride in the canyon and your town. We also went to the fireworks and enjoyed them going up one at a time :) By the way we are watching a cricut commercial right now but we have not seen you yet...

Sarah Ball said...

I completely agree with you. Although I didn't grow up in Gunnison I love Devin's pride in this small town and have grown to love it here so much the 11 months that we have lived here. It is a great place to be!

Jared and Stacy Gillins said...

I can't believe we were both in Gunnison and never crossed paths! That is terrible! Growing up in Gunnison, you and I were connected at the HIP! I'm so sad! And what's even worse, we were both in the mountains at the same time! That was our childhood playground! Oh I wish we could have seen each other! Someday, someday! We are just going to have to MAKE it happen cause I just love you to pieces and really really miss your sarcastic remarks! (I even found it hilarious when you would slam my locker in my face! haha!) Great times!