Monday, June 27, 2011

So sore :(

So, I ran my first half marathon Saturday morning.  I have always hated running.  The most I had ever run was a mile and a half for fit for life at Snow.  My family all asked me why I would do this insane thing.  They know me, and know of my physical laziness.  There were a lot of reasons I did this, but they all come down to the baby weight.  It is (a verb in the present tense, not past) hard for me to lose.  After weeks and weeks of mediocre (sp?) workouts, salads, and my wii fit making that 'wha-wha...your still a fatty' noise, I needed to set a different fitness goal that was not centered around weight.

The race was awesome.  We ran about 8 miles down American Fork canyon.  It was beautiful, downhill, cool and breezy.  Sam ran with me and we talked a laughed our way through the whole thing.  Once out of the canyon, the next 2 miles were around the golf course.  That part was ok.  The smiling an laughing were a little more forced at this point.  The last 3 miles were hard.  It was pretty much around neighborhoods leading us back to AF High School.  It was hot.  We were tired and my legs where heavy.  Thank goodness for Sam and her positive attitude and push!  We made it!  My time was about 15 minutes longer than I wanted it to be.  But I kind of knew in the weeks before the race that I had set my expectations in that area a little high.

My mom asked me a couple weeks ago if I liked running now.  I told her it was kind of like being pregnant.  Nothing I look forward to.  But once I am in the middle of it, it's not so bad.  The reward at the end makes it all worth it!  I say this is my first half marathon, cause there will be many more to come in many years to come!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Good for you Mandi, with finishing the race. I do question your insanity about running a other race. Are you crazy!!!!! Hope to you see this week end.

Meggan Butterfield said...

congrats mandi, I am so excited to hear how you did and so happy that it was a pretty good experiance in spite of the exhaustion at the end I want to know if there is any one that doesn't feel that way at the end. Great job!