We had a C-section scheduled for Monday, July 8th. We had to be at the hospital at 5 a.m. We checked in and we got into a curtain room to get the IV and all that. Waiting there for almost an hour, I started getting really nauseous and nervous. Pretty soon all the doctors and nurses started coming in and I was wheeled into the operating room, which seemed to be on the other side of the hospital! Chad was already in scrubs, but they asked him to stay outside the O.R. until they were ready to operate. I had a spinal block, and that was weird and kind of painful. I was suddenly really, really, nauseous and almost lost it, but levels were soon regulated and I felt much better as they began the procedure. It was also great when Chad was finally able to get in there. I did not like being away from him! Throughout the operation, I was pretty out of it ans drugged up!
The operation went well and I was relieved to hear my baby girl cry. Her official time of birth was 7:50. Length 20 inches. Weight 7lbs 13 oz. She had a little bit of a breathing problem. She had a little extra fluid in her lungs. They were sure after a little bit of time on oxygen, she would get better. So she went under the all too familiar oxygen helmet. Jordyn was under that oxygen for 5 days and it was torture. I was terrified Adalynn would be the same. They wheeled my hospital bed into the nursery so I could at least see and touch her. I did not get to hold her yet. But at lease I got to see her for about 5 minutes before I was wheeled into my room.
After about 5 1/2 hours on the oxygen, she was not getting any better. Their policy was that after 6 hours on oxygen, the baby would be moved into the NICU. I desperately did not want to go through that again. The nurses were trying lots of things to get her breathing more regulated. The gave her another bath, and her cries and screams seemed to clear her lungs just in time to keep her out of the NICU. After nearly 6 hours, she was cleared to come into my room and we finally got to hold little Adalynn! What a long day, and it was only 2 pm!
My mom brought Jordyn in that evening. Her first reaction was, "Oh, baby sister's so cute!" Followed by, "She's so tiny!". Just the reaction we were expecting. Adalynn had brought her a little doctor toy kit and Jordyn's attention was soon taken over by her new gift from baby sister. She loves her sister, and checks up on her often. She is really concerned about baby sister crying!
After day 3 in the hospital, I was sooo ready to go home. We came home on Thursday the 11th. The time there was nice though; nice to have others taking care of me and Adalynn and knowing Jordyn was being taken care of by my mom and Chad. I took lots and lots of pictures in hopes to document and remember those first few days of Adalynn's life!

















4 comments:
Congrats!!! So glad she didn't have to be in the NICU! Those girls are gonna be best friends!
I love her! So glad you posted the story. I had no idea any of that breathing stuff had happened! Glad you escaped the nicu! She is so adorable! I love all the pics you took. How awesome that you have that background of photography to capture such special moments! Congrats again! We love you guys!
So cute!! Jordyn is such a cute big sister! Can't wait to see her in real life!
Mandi, she is so adorable!! That's scary about the breathing stuff but I'm glad they were able to keep her out of the NICU. So did you have an epidural last time? It sounded like the spinal block was a first. Or maybe it was just the nausea that sucked. Either way, that is no fun. I'm glad it's over for you! And what a cutie she is!!
Post a Comment